Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Monday, August 16, 2010

Immenstadt Race Report

Immenstadt provided all of us competing there for the Long Course World Champs this year with a long, hard day out on a fantastic course with a great atmosphere. It was really well organised with incredible crowds through every town, large or small, most remarkably on every hill of the 2 lap 130k bike leg and three or four deep throughout much of the 3 lap run course as it went through town and along the river.

Overall I was really happy with my race as I feel that I used all that I had to give to the course. It certainly felt like it by the final few kms of the run! That is all that I could control. I was really pleased that it was enough to get me onto, let alone to the top of the podium. Seeing the Aussie flag fly at the World Champs for my efforts was a surreal experience.

So, the race ...

After a week of rain, race day dawned as promised with spectacular weather, a cool, still morning warming up to a 30 degree day.

The 800+ age group participants at this year's Long Course World Championships lined up in the still very cool 16 degree water 30 minutes after the pro field departed for the 4 km swim in the Grosse Alpsee lake near Immenstadt in the Bavarian Alps.

My swim was steady. I got a pretty good start amongst the masses! The water was cold! 16.2C.It incentivised you to keep going relatively hard just to keep warm.  I found good feet were hard to find though for long stretches so I kept having to go get new ones. Cramping in the last km and on the exit was bad. I also got my timing chip knocked a bit loose at the start of the swim so didn't kick all that much. I fell over on the beach as my legs wouldn't relax enough to hold me up! The cramps eased pretty fast on the bike and after that no issues so a slightly slow swim but no longer impact.

The ride was great. I did hold back though as I realised the truth in the suggestion from many who had raced there before about how easy it would be to blow up if you biked too hard. I really focussed on maintaining effort and speed on the flats and rode the steeper hills within my target HR range. I was catching girls throughout and not many were holding the same pace, so I didn't feel tempted to go harder. I also really worked to make sure I got all planned nutrition in as I was worried about length of the race (longest yet for me) and getting the energy and hydration right. In my flatter spots on the ride I let myself back off the effort a bit but took the time to have a rehydrate or eat. I came off the bike 16th overall female.

The run was also good but long, hot and hard. I got into a good rythm early but by the second lap had dropped it off a bit. Then a lovely 45-49 category German lady tried to pass me at a good pace, so I ran with her as we tried to chase her key competitor down together for a lap before I couldn't hang on as she picked up. I then held my rythm until the 3k to go when I picked up a bit and managed to pass the German lady back and one other younger one. Near the finish my boys were waiting with an Australian flag that I collected to run the final 300m around the stadium andthrough the chute. It was a great feeling. All up a good day out. Great organisation, beautiful weather and location, amazing crowds, wonderful support from the Aussie crew of family and friends (not Triathlon Australia but that is an entirely different story!). Now recovering well and enjoying a few days off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment