Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Kids and triathlon: involvement, integration and fun for all!

Guilt was a concept redefined for me once I became a parent. I am always feeling that I could/may/should do something that I haven't done to be a better parent to my two lovely boys. As a triathlete in the middle of a demanding ironman training schedule, I am very aware of the time I lose with them while out on the bike, at the pool/lake or out running.

In order to best manage this balance I am learning to try and integrate the kids into my training and racing where possible and manage my schedule to ensure good quality time each day with them. It is challenging to integrate kids into a 6 hr bike ride, or long lake swim, but some of the things we do, to make it easier include;

Long bike ride
I tend to start after lunch on the weekend so we have a really active / fun morning time together. We often go picnicing somewhere interesting to the kids (and us) a good drive away. Then I ride home or go out further before heading back. This gives me fun rides too as I get to cover a greater range of the region if one way. Otherwise a pick up and dinner together somewhere interesting at the end works too.

Runs
The boys having fun at the lake while Mum or Dad swim
Jackson and Liam sometimes join me for the first few minutes of my run as I warm up before heading off for a long run, or after getting off the bike. Liam and I run to the corner of the road down the hill together and back to the house (about 700m) and Jackson and I then run up the hill together and back (a further 800m) before I head off alone. They get to be part of it and I get paced for a good warm up.

The boys also both love riding their bikes. The bike path around the lake at Annecy it is perfect for us all to head out together. Jackson's pace on the bike is perfect for a good, solid run for me at a relatively steady 13-14 kph as there are no hills on that route. He has recently started pacing me on my tempo runs too. Liam and Rob are well matched and after an hour out we are all happy and have had a bit of 1:1 time with one of the boys.

Swimming
We all enjoy going to the pool or lake together on a warm afternoon and the boys swim with one or other parent, or dive off boards, or slide down slides, or just generally run around and have fun, while the other parent trains. This summer the boys also started paddling in a kayak with one parent while the other swims in the lake alongside. Rob and I then swap at the turnaround.

Yoga/strength work
The kids have their own yoga mats so they can either do the yoga or stretches I am doing along with me or follow along in a great kids yoga book we have (Babar's Yoga) and do their own thing. For sit ups the boys often fight for the right to sit on my feet and collect kisses each repetition. I split the reps in two so they both get a go. Liam, who loves anything mechanical is particularly fond of ropes, whether skipping ropes or stretch cords. He now has his own of each to follow along in his way when I am using mine. He tends to spend most of the time clipping or tying them on or off things, but that keeps him happy so all is good!


Races
A serious HT session for 2
Liam now "motorpaces" me from the scooter while I train
We are lucky in France that generally the races are held at great areas near lakes with playgrounds or at minimum good play areas. So taking swimmers, a ball or frisbee etc and some good snacks/lunch can make cheering Mum or Dad on during an Olympic or Long Course tri a really fun day out. There are always options for fun kids play between laps if you are looking.

When we were in Nice supporting at Ironman France on a hot day we ended up spending an hour with the kids at one of the fountains there as it was in the shade and lots more fun than the rocky beach for their soft feet. Race day treats like an icecream or dinner out on the way home make them look forward to being an integral part of the race experience too.

From my perspective I love having the kids and Rob at races. I look forward each lap to seeing them always acknowledge them with a big hello, high 5 or at least a wave if not possible. It lifts me for the few kms both going into where they are and out again. Rob meanwhile is developing a great ability to multitask, taking photos, managing the kids and sharing vital information with me as I pass, like how many women are ahead and how many seconds/minutes forward they are.

Back at home the kids also do their own triathlons complete with transitions and gels etc! These don't even need water as swimming can be done running with arms windmilling around your head, transitions can be completed with completely imaginary gear and sometimes the bike leg includes a real bike, sometimes a scooter, and sometimes just a run with arms forward in the TT position! Gels and bars are provided with muesli bars and fruit squeezes. It gives them a go in their way to do as we do. Next year Jackson may start the Minimen tris if he is still as keen as he is now. Until then, running around different trees and back three times can provide three times the fun for them too!

A bientot!
C

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your post. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort on your blog. I appreciate your effort. Please check out my site.
    TLR Carbon wheels

    ReplyDelete