Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Every end provides a beginning. Completing the circle in Spain.

This weekend I'm heading to Spain to finish my season off at the Challenge Maresme Barcelona iron distance race. I'm looking forward to it for lots of reasons. Here are a few;

Starting and finishing the ride in Spain at Challenge Barcelona
  • It was my first ironman race (also my first marathon and first pro race) back in 2010 and I really enjoyed the experience. Somehow I managed to come 8th in 10:13 and generally got hooked on all that iron distance racing offers; the preparation, lead up nerves, the highs and lows of the race itself, elation and relief after, the community of positive, driven souls involved and even the sore body to recover that testifies the extent to which you put it all out there on the day.
  • I love Spain, the people, their openness and friendliness especially to children, the food, proximity to the ocean (in Calella anyway), sun, aridness of the southern region and the fun of being somewhere where language is not really an option for communication again as my Spanish is next to non-existant. This year I have started and finished my season at Spanish races and put another one in the middle.
  • There is a strong pro women's field lining up for the race, including a number of friends, so it should be a good challenge that I am feeling fit and ready for (even if a touch end of seasonish) to chase a good time and place outcome.
  • It is the last race of the 2012 season so afterwards I get to have a break, stopping off at Carcasonne/ Narbonne with the kids on the way back and then coming home and relaxing for a few weeks. I know I am mentally and physically ready for some time out, after racing 11 times since April including 4 iron distance races.
  • Once this is done I think...... that pro level racing for this "girl" may be done. Although I love my fitness and health and have no plans to give up on training and racing as an integral part of my life, I think that this will be my last full season racing in the pro ranks. It has been a blast. An awesome opportunity that, coming as I did to triathlon (and competitive sport) in my very late 30s, I had never anticipated and yet have hugely enjoyed. After three seasons focused on the sport, a few factors are conspiring to move me onwards. I really need to have enough time and energy to support the family needs, especially my two lovely boys who I care for solo during the weekdays due to my husbands work, I am ready to spend more energy helping others develop rather than just myself and also I do have my age creeping up into the 40s.  As yet it hasn't slowed me down, although it does probably put a cap on how much further I can expect to progress, particularly when added to my family's needs. I am no 28 yo single chick who has undistracted time, energy and focus to throw into the sport.
  • Onwards and upwards. I see this as an opportunity to refocus my energies, not a loss or full stop to be mourned. Although I have truly loved competing at the highest level, I will keep training for pleasure as I hope I have (nearly) always done, and may take the opportunity to try some new things to keep up the motivation but from a different angle, starting with some cross country ski races this winter and possibly mixing in some trail running next year. All good excuses to keep spending plenty of time in our beautiful mountains.
  • I'm also looking forward to having more time to help others rather than primarily myself develop in triathlon, enjoying the progression and rewards physically, mentally and emotionally that the sport/s offer. I have really enjoyed the triathlon camps I have been coaching at in the Aravis for a few years now but wish to add a few new layers to this, both face to face and online. Watch this space, more coming soon. 
On course Challenge Barcelona, 2010
For now time to get my head, heart and body prepared for the challenge that is Challenge Barcelona. Tomorrow we leave for Spain. The journey of my pro tri career started there in 2010 and will likely finish there this weekend. It seems appropriate. Wish me luck. Right now I'm just hoping my immune system is in good shape as we've had a weekend with Jackson really unwell with a gastro and cough combo. He has bounced back fast in usual form and so far no one else is showing any symptoms. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

A huge thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way these past few years as I have had this opportunity to race as a pro; family, coaches, sponsors, friends, team mates, fellow triathletes, home stay friends, race organisers .... It has been a ride! One more circuit, at full throttle. Barca here we come!



À bientôt / See you soon

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment